Amsterdammer J.J.H. Van Reenen owned the estate of Bergen, bought at an auction in 1851. The Van Reenen family's territory reached as far as the beach, which led to the first plans for a beautiful holiday resort. Bergen aan Zee has been around for over 100 years.
The first steps in founding Bergen aan Zee were taken in 1906 The Schulpslag, a cart track from Bergen to the sea, was replaced by a handsome access road and the grounds in the area were made fertile.
The landscape architect L.A. Springer from Haarlem subsequently made drawings for the construction of the Bergen aan Zee villa park.
The current landscape, an English style, was taken as the spearhead, as was the Zeeweg that was built in 1905. On July 28, 1906, the foundation stone of Café Prins Maurits was laid, on the location where Hotel Prins Maurits is still located today. In times of ups and downs, the village was gradually built up.